[tex-live] xindy vs utf8 latex

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed May 7 23:43:36 CEST 2014

>     Peter committed the change in TL SVN at April 28.
>     I assume the next rebuild will gather them.
> No, everything has been up to date (in the pretest) since the build of
> Apr 28 (it's updated nightly, barring errors).  That is, in all bindirs,
> bin/texindy is a symlink to ../texmf-dist/scripts/xindy/texindy.pl, and
> that was one of the files Peter updated.  There is nothing to wait for.
>     > The texindy in pretest does not support -L utf8
> What should be run to determine this?  I looked briefly at the source,
> but it wasn't clear to me.
> There are certainly a variety of utf8.xdy files in the runtime, that's
> all I can see at a glance.

What I do not understand is "-L utf8".  As the help says, -L is used to set
the language, -C is used to set the codepage, so I would expect "-C utf8".
For many languages the input may be entered in several codepages, therefore
you should see language/codepage.xdy and thus you will see utf8.xdy
probably for each language. Some languages may even contain variants, for
instance German has two variants.

> karl

Zdeněk Wagner