[tex-live] Problem with pax.win32

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 22:11:54 CEST 2014

> Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>
>> You should send the complaint to the developers of non-free software.
>> Or do you wish to turn TeX Live to a non-free distribution and force
>> users to pay for it?
>

> I appreciate that the English language is confusing, Zdeněk, even for
> native speakers, but the sense in which "free" is used that Martin
> used it, and in which it is used in the "Copying" document to which
> he subsequently referred, is nothing to do with payment.  "Free",
> in the sense in which Martin and Copying use it, refers to "Freedom
> to modify", not "free of charge".  It is very unfortunate that those
> who espouse the Free Software movement did not choose such a less
> confusing word with which to describe their goal, but one suspect
> that even the choice of word was politically motivated.

The Active Perl license says among others:

You may: (i) copy the Software for archival purposes, (ii) copy the
Software for personal use purposes, (iii) use, copy, and distribute
the Software solely for Your organization's internal non-production
use and or internal business operation purposes including copying the
Software to other workstations inside Your organization

you may not:
v. merge the Software with another product; v. copy the Software;

Except as expressly provided herein, you may not:
i. permit others outside Your organization to use the Software,
ii. redistribute:

1. the Software as a whole whether as a wrapped application or on a
stand alone basis, or
2. parts of the Software to create a language distribution, or
3. the ACTIVESTATE components with Your Wrapped Application.

You are right, there is nothing about money but the restrictions do
not look as a free software that can be used both for non-commercial
and commercial purposes and can be redistributed. The license also
says:

If you plan to redistribute ActivePerl you will need a different license.

Thus in order to have the right to redistribute Active Perl as a part
of TeX Live so that it can be used even for commercial purposes the
Active Perl developers have to be contacted.

BTW: This is the reason why I have not run getnonfreefonts. I do not
want to read all licenses of nonfree fonts in order to find out
whether I can use them in my commercial work. I prefer not to have
them.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/