[tex-live] Problem with pax.win32

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sun Mar 30 16:56:21 CEST 2014

Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> wrote:

> Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>
> > The license of Active Perl does not allow merging with other
> > products and does not allow redistribution. The only possibility is
> > to include a link so that a user can install it from the original web
> > source. If someone installs TeX Live from a DVD without a network
> > connection, installation will not work. The license is here:
> >
> > http://www.activestate.com/activeperl/license-agreement
>
> There was no indicate of any network fetch of Active Perl, not was
> I prompted to accept any Active Perl licence.  I shall reinstall
> on a non-networked machine and see if Active Perl is again
> successfully installed as a part of Diogenes.

long ago, i installed active perl.  it didn't contain all the libraries
(or whatever they're called) that i needed.  does active perl, now, come
with all that tex live needs?  if not, i would suggest the discussion is
moot.

> Norbert Preining wrote:
>
> > Furthermore, I am sure that selling TL DVDs via Lehmann would be
> > impossible if ActiveSTate's Perl is included.
>
> Are sales of TeX Live DVDs via Lehmann considered so important,
> gentlemen, that this consideration should override the desirability
> of providing a full working PERL for TeX users, particular as scripts
> such as that referred to in the original thread (i.e., pax.win32)
> are bundled with TeX Live ?

i had assumed that lehmann did dante's distribution of dvds.  without
the sweetener of extra sales, would they consider that?

personally, i'm willing to accept the assertion of the people who
actually do the work, that bundling a perl distro isn't "on".  (the last
time i worked on preparing a tl release, it was with seb rahtz.  it's
a bigger operation now...)