[tex-live] reinstall package fails

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Mar 10 11:18:11 CET 2014

Hi Roberto,

That is bad, but since you wrote:

> As the problem with tex4ht started a couple of week ago, I supposed at the
> beginning was the problem with the Thai server. Last week I was in England,
> and the Oxford server, or whatever was serving Oxford Uni, gave me the same
> error. The same happened today for pgfplots package.

I have only one guess: Your harddrive has severe problems and is starting
to fail. The downloaded files are .tar.xz which are uncompressed with
xzdec. If the downloaded file would be corrupted, then the xzdec
would already fail, but at your side it fails at the next step, the untar.

As this is only a local action, I can only guess what is the reason, and
the most probable are:
* virus scanner interfering: Turn off the virus scanner while updating TL
  and see if that helps!
* failing hard drive

THere is nothing else we can help beyond this, though.

Norbert