[tex-live] SOLVED Re: OT2 vs. T2A; compilation by apache user issues

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sat Mar 1 01:33:26 CET 2014

Hi Mario,

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014, mario chiari wrote:
> The trick was to give 755 permission to the entire texmf-var directory.
[...]
> However, even having /var/www/.texlive2013/ already around is not good
> enough, if I call my php script from my web client. I am not sure why
> (yes I know this is not a TeX issue).

Maybe a PHP setting that drops some privileges, or redirects some
calls when run via apache instead of locally on the cmd line?
That is the only explanation I can find.

> > * Does this user have the proper permissions for the $HOME that is set up?
> yes, I think so
> bash-4.2$ ls -l
> drwxr-xr-x. 10 apache apache  4096 Feb 28 18:21 www

But sometimes the scripts run as www-data.www-data or similar.
On Debian we have the apache user, but the scritps are run by a different
user, apache.conf directive
	User
	Group

> bash-4.2$ su root
> Password:
> [root at localhost ]# echo $PATH
> /usr/local/texlive/2013/bin/i386-linux: ...
> [root at localhost ]# su apache

su something normally caries over the environment, use
	su - apache

> > > now, how do I do that? What is considered root directory here? Which
> > > argument should I pass to have larm1728.mf available to my web server?
> >
> > NONONON, no destdir. Arrrgggg.
> ??

Don't use --destdir if it is not necessary, there are other reasons.

Norbert