[tex-live] Serious (?) problem with Babel and language attributes

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sun Jun 1 10:14:50 CEST 2014

Hi Javier, hi Karl, hi everyone

I got a bug report here at Debian, but it is the same in the
current TL2014 status. It seems that something with the
language attributes is up-side-down:

The report states that
prints the wrong month for June in Russian. It should be
	"июнь" (cyrillic "i" at the first position)
but comes out as
	"iюнь" (latin "i" followed by cyrillic "юнь")

The input file is trivial:

(with or without the inputenc, I tried both!)

Reading a bit through russian.ldf I see that the printed version
is related to the "ancient" variant of Russian.

So I tried

and voila, the June comes out as expected in all cyrillic.

So it seems to me that there is something - a test - turned

I am not sure whether Karl considers this a show-stopper, but
considering how core babel is that would be a good reason for me.

Please try to keep the Debian bug report in Cc, if possible.

All the best


PREINING, Norbert                               http://www.preining.info
JAIST, Japan                                 TeX Live & Debian Developer
GPG: 0x860CDC13   fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0  ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13

More information about the tex-live mailing list