[tex-live] TeXLive 2014 - placement of Map files

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Jul 28 02:55:31 CEST 2014

Hi,

On Sun, 27 Jul 2014, P. P. Narayanaswami wrote:
> Put all files (fonts, .pfb, .tfm, ocp, otp etc etc) in
>         /usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-dist/...
> (or better, put all files in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local)

Yes, please, put them in
	TEXMFLOCAL
(which normally is in the path you mentioend), but into the
correct subdirectories!
	.tex, .sty etc into TEXMFLOCAL/tex/latex/malayalam/
	.pfb into TEXMFLOCAL/fonts/type1/malayalam/
	etc etc

> append all map entries in malayalam.map to
>    texmf-local/web2c/updmap.cfg

No, that is *wrong*. Just add *one* line
	Map malayalam.map
	TEXMFLOCAL/web2c/updmap.cfg
(creating it if necessary).

Then run updmap-sys.

> or, can I leave the malayalam.map file in /texmf-local/web2c directory?

No, it *has*to* go into
	TEXMFLOCAL/fonts/map/dvips/malayalam/

> I am puzzled how to add the map lines to
>  texmf-dist/web2c/updmap.cfg or to texmf-local/web2c/updmap.cfg

Do it as I said above, add only one line.

updmap.cfg collects *references* to .map files, but *not* the content
of these .map files.

=====

Different question: why are these files not available in TeX Live?
Are the with a non-free license?

All the best

Norbert