[tex-live] (x)dvipdfmx and fully embeded fonts in pdftex.map

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Sun Jul 20 11:45:36 CEST 2014

Am Sat, 19 Jul 2014 23:23:41 +0000 schrieb Karl Berry:

>     kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+0/600 --dpi
>     600 GFSBodoniBoldIt.otf
> Sounds like test-utf8.tex contains
> \font\foo = GFSBodoniBoldIt.otf
> Is that right?

No test-utf8.tex contains exactly the code of your "tryot.tex" and
that's the output if I run this code with xetex instead of latex +

Try it out in tryot.tex:
     \special{pdf:mapline md-grbbi7m ... <XXXX}
works fine with xetex if XXXX is a pfb, but fails if it is a ttf or
a otf font.

> That syntax has never worked.  To get XeTeX to look up
> an .otf by file name, it's always been necessary to use brackets, most
> likely with quotes:

I know how to call otf by file name. But in your code the font is
called through the tfm: "\font\test = md-grbbi7m" and the question
is how to call the related otf through the "normal"

If I run your tryot.tex code with "xetex --no-pdf" and then call
xdvipdfmx I get this:

G:\Z-Test>xdvipdfmx test-utf8.xdv
test-utf8.xdv -> test-utf8.pdf
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+0/600 --dpi
600 GFSBodon

The command name is D:\texlive\2014\bin\win32\mktexpk

kpathsea: Running mktexmf GFSBodoniBoldIt.mf

The command name is D:\texlive\2014\bin\win32\mktexmf
name = GFSBodoniBoldIt, rootname = GFSBodoniBoldIt, pointsize =
mktexmf: empty or non-existent rootfile!
Cannot find GFSBodoniBoldIt.mf .
I try ps2pk --> gsftopk --> ttf2pk --> hbf2gf.
Cannot find GFSBodoniBoldIt.tfm .
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.

xdvipdfmx:warning: Could not locate a virtual/physical font for TFM
xdvipdfmx:warning: >> This font is mapped to a physical font

xdvipdfmx:warning: >> Please check if kpathsea library can find this
font: GFSBodoniBoldIt.otf
xdvipdfmx:fatal: Cannot proceed without .vf or "physical" font for
PDF output...

Output file removed.

So xdvipdfmx did see the map entry, and it did realize that the
"physical font" is GFSBodoniBoldIt.otf but then fails to use it.

> (That's what started the discussion: Someone tried to use mathdesign
>  with xelatex which loads fonts in this way and this fails).

> Sounds like a bug in mathdesign, then.

I don't think so. It looks like a missing feature of xdvipdfmx for
me: Perhaps someone thought that otf will always be loaded directly
by filename and so removed the support for this fonts in the tfm/map

Ulrike Fischer