[tex-live] (x)dvipdfmx and fully embeded fonts in pdftex.map

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Fri Jul 18 09:04:54 CEST 2014

Am Thu, 17 Jul 2014 18:37:11 +0000 schrieb Karl Berry:

>     [1kpathsea:make_tex: Invalid fontname `<augie___.pfb', contains '<'
> It is easy enough to change (x)dvipdfmx to accept and ignore the extra <
> in what is supposed to mean full embedding in a map file line
> (fontmap_parse_mapdef_dps in fontmap.c, looks like).
> The bigger question is whether (x)dvipdfmx actually needs to force full
> embedding in that case.  That does not look so simple to me, but your
> message also implies it is not needed, that you are just trying to work
> around syntactic incompatibilities for the sake, ultimately, of pdftex.

Well, if I remember everything correctly then there are two

1. that (x)dvipdfmx gives errors when the <<-syntax is used.

2. that (x)dvipdfmx can't load otf-fonts through map-entries even if
the "<"-syntax is used. That is not really a problem for normal text
fonts - they can be easily loaded through fontspec -- but it is if
the fonts needs to be reencoded e.g. for math packages.

So the bigger question is if one could enable embedding of otf-fonts
through map-entries at all, subsetting can come later ;-)

>     But in the case of the adobe garamondm utopia, GFSBodoni and other
>     fonts this it not an option: Here otf-fonts are loaded
> gfsbodoni has pfb files, and gfsbodoni.map loads them.
> So I don't get that one.

There are also map-entries which uses otf:

md-grbr7m GFSBodoni-Regular " AutoEnc_py5znvjh3poy4qksuktslsc7kc
ReEncodeFont " <[a_py5znv.enc <<GFSBodoni.otf

>     and pdftex can handle them only if they are fully embeded.
> On another front, it seems that it would be desirable for pdftex to
> fully download otf files entirely, regardless of the map file spec,
> instead of just reporting an error and giving up.  I admit it's not
> clear to me when one would want to play with otf files in pdftex in the
> first place, but fine.

Why not? It avoids to have to convert fonts to pfb (which is perhaps
not allowed) and to handle two variants of a font (e.g. how to
prevent xelatex to find the pfb instead of the otf). And at least in
miktex pdftex can access such fonts directly from the system folder.

Ulrike Fischer