[tex-live] Problems with non-7bit characters in filename

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sat Jul 5 14:10:27 CEST 2014

Akira Kakuto wrote:

>> G:\Z-Test>lualatex --jobname=test \documentclass{article}
>> \usepackage{fontspec} \begin{document} hello öäü \end{document}

> It works for xelatex in texlive (windows), if you write in texmf.cnf
> command_line_encoding=utf8

I thought to experiment with this, but it fails in various ways in
TeX Live 2013 as summarised below :

1) The TeX Live command prompt opens in C:\Windows\System32; this is
a crazy place in which to open, since write permission is not granted
thereto.

2) Because write permission is not granted, I am told :

 > ! I can't write on file `test.log'.
 > (Press Enter to retry, or Control-Z to exit

When I then enter <Ctrl-Z>, "^Z" is echoed but nothing else happens.
If I then follow <Ctrl-Z>L with <Enter>, I then receive an "*" prompt,
so "exit" has still not occurred.

I then try "\end", TeX proceeds further, but still does not exit.
Finally I try yet another "\end" (both of the preceding being
terminated by <Return>), and finally TeX dies.

NOTHING to do with the original problem/report/diagnosis, but
an indication, I would suggest, that TeX Live 2013 behaves
incorrectly when a TeX Live 2013 command prompt is opened
(inappropriate current directory), and (b) the diagnostic
"Enter [...] Control-Z to exit" does not lead to the
expected behaviour (programme exit) when <Ctrl-Z> is entered.

Philip Taylor
--------