[tex-live] Problems with non-7bit characters in filename

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Sat Jul 5 13:08:44 CEST 2014

Am Sat, 5 Jul 2014 11:10:59 +0100 schrieb Klaus Ethgen:

>> [A] Develop to support filename conversion from the filesystem encoding to the internal encoding (UTF-8).
>> I do not agree since regacy encoding is obsolete.
>
> Why to convert it at all? Its the same encoding (or no encoding) on the
> command line and the file system. Wouldn't it be better to just pass
> that names from one subsystem (the commandline parsing) to other (open
> the (initial) input file) without changing the encoding at all? Using
> »unsigned char *« inside the software?

Tex engines can also be used interactivly and read their input from
the command line. The argument doesn't need to be a file name or an
option.  E.g. in miktex I can do this:

G:\Z-Test>lualatex \def\test{äöü}\input{test-utf8}

If I use \test inside of test-utf8.tex it works fine. So miktex
translates the complete input of the command line to utf8 before
feeding it to lualatex.

I can even something like this:

G:\Z-Test>lualatex --jobname=test \documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec} \begin{document} hello öäü \end{document}

lualatex then writes the (correct) output to test.pdf.

All this doesn't work on texlive.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/