[tex-live] Install file of the TL should have unique name

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Fri Jan 17 22:28:11 CET 2014

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 06:46:05PM +0100, Denis Bitouzé wrote:
> Le vendredi 17/01/14 à 18h14,
> Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> > And how exactly do you suggest to fix the issue for those?
>
> Either on DVD and on the .iso file, let the files (particularly the
> install files) have unique names. Currently, we have:
>
>   install-tl
>   install-tl-advanced.bat
>   install-tl.bat
>   install-tl.exe
>   install-tl.exe.sha256
>   install-tl-unx.tar.gz
>   install-tl-unx.tar.gz.sha256
>   install-tl.zip
>   install-tl.zip.sha256
>
> IMHO, install-tl-windows.bat instead of install-tl.bat is nice but
> install-tl.exe, install-tl.exe.sha256, install-tl.zip and
> install-tl.zip.sha256 should have less suggestive (and different) names,
> otherwise an absent minded user could click on (one of the)
> "install-tl" (if extensions are hidden) instead of "install-tl-windows".
>
> A better approach could be to hide, as dot files, the auxiliary files
> (the not supposed to be run by the user).

Dot files are not hidden under Windows. Instead, you could just
remove the irrelevant files from your usb stick. You do not need the
exe or the various archives since there is already an unpacked copy
of the installer. I am pretty sure you do not need the tlmgr updates
either.

But of course this would not do for the online tlnet archive.

--
Siep Kroonenberg