[tex-live] OT2 vs. T2A; compilation by apache user issues

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Thu Feb 27 23:53:00 CET 2014

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014, mario chiari wrote:
> > > mkdir: cannot create directory `././var/www/.texlive2013': Permission
> > > denied
> >
> > Something is broken in your setup, path ././var/www/.texlive2013 looks
> > really strange
>
> This is just what I get from the updated texlive2013.

That is all completely ok.

THe apache server/php sets up $HOME to something liek /var/www it seems.
Thus, kpse* wants to create TEXMFVAR which is by default
$HOME/.texlive2013/...

Nothing surprising here.

Mario: Please learn:
* environment settings when a script is run under Apache/php
* configuration of TeX Live (see my hint concerning mktex.cnf)

We are not consulting office for your Apache problems. This is
*really*really* setup specific, not TeX Live related, because
TeX Live does the right thing. Only your integration into APache
is not working.

E.g.:
* Do you know under which UID the php script is run?
* Does this user have the proper permissions for the $HOME that is set up?
* Are all the programs in the search path of the UID?
* ....

THese are all basic *unix* questions, not TeX Live.

> now, how do I do that? What is considered root directory here? Which
> argument should I pass to have larm1728.mf available to my web server?

NONONON, no destdir. Arrrgggg.

> I think it is a issue
> with .texlive2013/texmf-var/fonts/source/lh/lh-t2a/larm1728.mf being
> created into /var/www/, instead of somewhere down inside my
> DocumentRoot /var/www/html/.

That is an error in *YOUR* setup. Check $HOME within the php script.

AFAIR this *is* the correct setup for php, that $HOME is /var/www
and not /var/www/html

> Note, I have been compiling a number of .tex file, using a number of php
> scripts, without a single issue, until I needed to quote a cyrillic
> text.

Irrelevant. It is about permissions to create necessary files in
TEXMFVAR. That is all. If this is not needed then it will work.

Norbert