[tex-live] font embedding: PDF/A checkers complain about missing glyphs from marvosym

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Sun Aug 31 12:08:18 CEST 2014

Am Sat, 30 Aug 2014 09:31:35 +0200 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:

> Hi,
>
> I'm probably writing to the wrong mailing list, but I need a hint
> where it would be best to ask.
>
> I just received the following email and a link to:
>     http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/198514/unable-to-generate-pdf-a-with-marvosym-package/198549
>
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 10:06 PM, Dennis Schieferdecker wrote:
>>
>> I am currently trying to use the marvosym package, or more specifically the
>> \Libra symbol to generate a PDF file that is compliant with the PDF/A-1b
>> standard. Unfortunately, this doesn't work. PDF/A checkers say that some
>> glyphs are missing in the embedded font and that the width information of
>> the outputted glyphs are inconsistent.
>> I am not sure how to continue from here.
>>
>> A minimal working example would be:
>>
>> \documentclass{article}
>> \usepackage{marvosym}
>> \begin{document}
>> \Libra
>> \end{document}
>
> I'm able to reproduce the problem, also with ConTeXt/pdfTeX.
>
> I tried to switch to the ttf file in pdftex.map, but I'm not sure how
> to properly do that. Maybe I need to write the enc file first?

Yes, or you will have to embed the font completly:

 \documentclass{article}
 \usepackage{marvosym}
 \pdfmapline{=umvs MarVoSym  <<marvosym.ttf}
 \begin{document}
 \Libra
 \end{document}

> I'm not sure if this is an issue with the font packaging, with pdfTeX
> or something else. The PDF certainly looks fine, it's just the
> Acrobat's PDF/A checker that's complaining.

(Sadly) I don't have a pdf/A checker so I can't look at the
type1-problem.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/