[tex-live] autobackup infty

tljack at forallx.net tljack at forallx.net
Wed Apr 2 18:36:25 CEST 2014

Hello,

The tlmgr docs say that to set up infinitely many backups, I can use this: tlmgr option autobackup infty.

This used to work, although it was confusing because after doing so, "tlmgr option showall" would say that autobackup was "inf" (not "infty").

Today however it doesn't work.  I tried to "tlmgr update --all" and I got:

    Option autobackup can only be an integer >= -1.
    Disabling auto backups.

I tried "tlmgr option autobackup infty" again, and now I'm getting:

  Argument "infty" isn't numeric in int at /usr/texbin/tlmgr line 4083.
  tlmgr: setting option autobackup to inf.

So I thought, "fine, they got rid of infty and replaced it with inf", and then did "tlmgr option autobackup inf".  Then I tried "tlmgr update --all" again, and got:

    Option autobackup can only be an integer >= -1.
    Disabling auto backups.

Are the docs broken?  Is tlmgr broken?  Both?  Please make clear what the proper way to set autobackups to "infinitely many" is.  If only "tlmgr option autobackup -- -1" is going to be accepted from now on, please remove the "infty" part of the docs.

--jack