[tex-live] Install TeX Live 20130914 failed

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Sep 17 17:05:50 CEST 2013

Norbert Preining wrote:

> see
> 	tlmgr --help
> section of the command "generate" and te explanation of
> 	language-local{.dat{.lua},.def}

Thank you, I am endeavouring to experiment with that now.
I have created language-local.def in :

	C:\texlive\texmf-local\tex\generic\config

which contains :

	\addlanguage{hebrew}{zerohyph.tex}{}{3}{3}

and run :

	TLmgr generate language

It tells me :

> c:\texlive\2013\texmf-var\tex\generic\config>tlmgr generate language
> To make the newly-generated language.dat take effect, run fmtutil-sys --byhyphen
>  C:/texlive/2013/texmf-var/tex/generic/config/language.dat.lua.
> To make the newly-generated language.dat take effect, run fmtutil-sys --byhyphen
>  C:/texlive/2013/texmf-var/tex/generic/config/language.dat.
> To make the newly-generated language.def take effect, run fmtutil-sys --byhyphen
>  C:/texlive/2013/texmf-var/tex/generic/config/language.def.

Some questions :

(1) Is there no way to ask TLmgr to perform those steps,
rather than requiring the user to perform them explicitly ?

(2) Is the first of the three not in error ?  Should it not read

> c:\texlive\2013\texmf-var\tex\generic\config>tlmgr generate language
> To make the newly-generated language.dat.lua take effect, run
fmtutil-sys --byhyphen
>  C:/texlive/2013/texmf-var/tex/generic/config/language.dat.lua.

(Note the added ".lua" at line two).

(3) Would it not reduce the risk of error if the final periods were
omitted from the instructions ?  Left in place, a user may endeavour
to execute the command with a period following the file extension.

(4) The command to be run, as it stands, is not copy-and-pastable,
because of the line-turn that intervenes.

Even if it is thought to be undesirable for TLmgr to perform these
three operations automatically (see Q1, above), could they not
be written to either a batch file (for subsequent execution) or
to a text file (so that they can be successfully copied and
pasted) ?

** Phil.

** Phil.