[tex-live] Files for non-free fonts missing from new TeX-Live package of mathdesign[v 2.31]

tljack at forallx.net tljack at forallx.net
Wed Sep 4 23:56:34 CEST 2013

On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 10:29:49PM +0100, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
> <tljack at forallx.net> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Sep 01, 2013 at 12:41:39PM +0200, Matthias Vogel wrote:
> > > thanks for updating the mathdesign package to version 2.31.
> > >
> > > As far as I can see the files from tex/fonts/mathdesign/non-free/ are not
> > > distributed with the update. But although the supported fonts (Adobe
> > > Garamond Pro, Adobe Utopia Std, itc-Charter-ITC-Std and urw-GaramondNo8) are
> > > not free, the mathdesign adaptations are. So I think they should be part of
> > > the distribution. Am I right?
> >
> > I too have run into trouble with mathdesign and garamond.
> >
> > I have manually put the fonts into the tree as always.  However, the
> > latest mathdesign package is buggy in two ways:
> >
> > 1. Although when downloaded from CTAN it includes mdugm.map, no
> > mdugm.map gets placed into the tree by tlmgr.  This is wrong, and I
> > only discovered it because updmap-sys howled at me.  I manually moved
> > it into place, did updmap-sys --enable.
> >
> > 2. But even after that, I now get an error "mdugm.sty not found".
> > There used to be a mdugm.sty, that gets invoked when one does
> > \usepackage[mdugm]{mathdesign}.  But now no such sty file is included
> > in the CTAN download zip for mathdesign (and therefore,
> > unsurprisingly, no such sty file is put into place by tlmgr).
>
> on cam.ctan.org:
>
> $ unzip -v archive/fonts/mathdesign.zip | grep mdugm.sty
>    44894  Defl:N     6732  85% 2013-08-29 17:39 e5cb4b87  mathdesign/non-free/latex/mdugm/mdugm.sty
>
> what mirror are you using, to claim this is not true?

Ach, I somehow missed it.  Must have moved it, rather than copied it, from there while experimenting.

Nevertheless, that file (mdugm.sty) is NOT put into place by tlmgr, which means \usepackage[mdugm]{mathdesign} fails even if you have the urw garamond font installed.

Therefore there are still two bugs in *something*: (1) the mapfile mdugm.map is not put into place by tlmgr even though it's there in the ctan zipfile, and (2) the file mdugm.sty isn't put into place by tlmgr even though it's there in the ctan zipfile.  I don't know if this is tlmgr's fault or the fault of the packaging-up of mathdesign.

Both of these bugs are totally independent of the fact that one must grab the *font* for urw garamond and manually put it in the tree; this fact is, as far as I can see, NOT a bug, has been that way for as long as I have been using garamond, and I have no problem with it.

-Jack