[tex-live] Files for non-free fonts missing from new TeX-Live package of mathdesign[v 2.31]

tljack at forallx.net tljack at forallx.net
Wed Sep 4 19:07:55 CEST 2013

On Sun, Sep 01, 2013 at 12:41:39PM +0200, Matthias Vogel wrote:
> Dear TeXLive maintainers, dear Karl
>
> thanks for updating the mathdesign package to version 2.31.
>
> As far as I can see the files from tex/fonts/mathdesign/non-free/ are not
> distributed with the update. But although the supported fonts (Adobe
> Garamond Pro, Adobe Utopia Std, itc-Charter-ITC-Std and urw-GaramondNo8) are
> not free, the mathdesign adaptations are. So I think they should be part of
> the distribution. Am I right?

I too have run into trouble with mathdesign and garamond.

I have manually put the fonts into the tree as always.  However, the latest mathdesign package is buggy in two ways:

1. Although when downloaded from CTAN it includes mdugm.map, no mdugm.map gets placed into the tree by tlmgr.  This is wrong, and I only discovered it because updmap-sys howled at me.  I manually moved it into place, did updmap-sys --enable.

2. But even after that, I now get an error "mdugm.sty not found".  There used to be a mdugm.sty, that gets invoked when one does \usepackage[mdugm]{mathdesign}.  But now no such sty file is included in the CTAN download zip for mathdesign (and therefore, unsurprisingly, no such sty file is put into place by tlmgr).

-Jack