[tex-live] tlmgr invokes cc on OS X

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Oct 29 08:17:28 CET 2013

On Mo, 28 Okt 2013, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
> I can do that, but I'm not sure which one to set; running
> 'tlmgr platform list' on my machine, I have
>
> (i) universal-darwin
> […]
> (i) x86_64-darwin
>
> Of the two, which would be best?

It only boils down to whether you have tar and xz for one of
the arch. The architecture is *only* important for selecting
the right xz (and tar) from the list of shipped ones in
	tlpkg/installer/
If both can be run, it does not change.

You might ask why we do not ship xz and xzdec in the normal
bin directory together with the other binaries.

I guess that we do not want to override the system xz in this
case.

At the moment our setup routines doe smore or less the following
* determine the platform
* check that the xz/tar/etc *we* ship is working
* if this does not work, search for a system provided one

One *could* (I am not sure we want - we would have to discuss that
with Karl) reverse the order in the sense that we
* check if system provided xz/xzdec etc works
* if not determine platform
* test our progs

In this case the platform code would *still* be called if there is
no system xz, but not otherwise.

> > If there is a different and save way to get the platform name on
> > Apple, let me know. We trued a lot of different things, but none
> > of them worked on all supported archs/os combinations.
>
> Not a portable way. Using sysctl might give what you're looking for

I remember that Mojca tried a lot, but it never gave enough
information.

I guess we have to add more and more exceptions to have config.guess
not run for Mac...

Norbert