[tex-live] Babel 3.9g is installed but tlmgr thinks its 3.9f

Scott Kostyshak skostysh at lyx.org
Mon Oct 28 09:34:01 CET 2013

Hi,

Can anyone confirm this or have I misdiagnosed it? I've reinstalled
from two different repositories
(http://mirror.utexas.edu/ctan/systems/texlive/tlnet and
http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet) and
see the same behavior.

Below are some commands and their output. Please let me know if there
is any other information that I could provide that would be useful.

I am on Ubuntu 13.10 and just installed TeX Live yesterday.

Best,

Scott

$ tlmgr info babel
package:     babel
category:    Package
shortdesc:   Multilingual support for Plain TeX or LaTeX.
longdesc:    The package manages culturally-determined typographical
(and other) rules, and hyphenation patterns for a wide range of
languages. A document may select a single language to be supported, or
it may select several, in which case the document may switch from one
language to another in a variety of ways. Babel uses contributed
configuration files that provide the detail of what has to be done for
each language. Users of XeTeX are advised to use polyglossia rather
than Babel.
installed:   Yes
revision:    31886
sizes:       src: 365k, doc: 373k, run: 333k
relocatable: Yes
cat-version: 3.9f
cat-date:    2013-05-16 19:39:08 +0200
cat-license: lppl1.3
collection:  collection-latex
$

$ updatedb
$ locate babel.sty
$ locate babel.sty
/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel/babel.sty
/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/tex/latex/arabtex/arababel.sty
/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/tex/latex/betababel/betababel.sty
/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/tex/latex/glossaries/base/glossaries-babel.sty
/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/tex/platex/pxbase/pxbabel.sty
$

$ kpsewhich babel.sty
/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel/babel.sty
$

$ grep "3.9" $( kpsewhich babel.sty )
%%\ProvidesFile{babel.dtx}[2013/10/10 v3.9g The Babel package]
\ProvidesPackage{babel}[2013/10/10 3.9g The Babel package]
 {\def\bbl at tempa{3.9g}%
$