[tex-live] psutils maintenance

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Mon Oct 21 09:27:05 CEST 2013

On Sun 20 Oct 2013, Thomas Reuben wrote:

> It would be nice to move forwards; specifically, at least get 1.20 into
> Debian and CTAN (and hence TeXLive), if there are no objections, of course.

Hi Thomas,

no objections from my side, except that perhaps we should give Angus another
chance to react (within the next few weeks).

I never looked at your version, so all this has already been done.
If not, you might want to consider these things (relative to the current
TeXLive version).

(1) There are a few TL specific changes, e.g., to treat all files as binary
using '#ifdef WIN32'.  In some programs (not in psutils) there are further
changes for Akira's W32TeX using '#ifdef W32TEX'.

(2) In TL the perl scripts are installed as *.pl under texmf-dist/scripts/
and should start with '#!  /use/bin/env perl'.  For Unix there are symlinks
such as bindir/psmerge -> texmf-dist/scripts/psutils/psmerge.pl whereas for
Windows bindir/psmerge.exe is the copy of a standard wrapper binary with the
same effect.  All this is now done in TL through utils/psutils/Makefile.am
but perhaps some parts could be done upstream.  However, the most important
point should be that the new version can be used as standalone package
(under Unix and Windows), for TeXLive (Unix, compiled with MinGW, W32TeX),
and for MikTeX, preferably with as few changes as possible.

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>