[tex-live] Organization of language collections

Dan Luecking dluecking at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 15 21:46:36 CEST 2013

I appreciate all the work that must have gone (and continues
to go) into the reorganization of language support, but I
prefer one aspect of the old organization: The separation of
documentation written in a language from the support for
hyphenation and typesetting.

The number of languages for which I might need hyphenation is
rather large compared to the number of languages I can read.
I originally installed the 2013 pretest with 12 collection-lang*
selected and only one collection-documentation-*. But now all
that unreadable documentation is being moved into
collection-lang*.

My preferred organization would be into three collections for
each language (or group of languages):
   1) typesetting/caption support (e.g., cstex, babel, german.sty),
   2) hyphenation,
   3) documentation written in the language(s).
An argument can be made for combining 1 and 2, but it seems to
me that 3 is almost orthogonal to the other two.

Thanks,
Dan

Daniel H. Luecking
Department of Mathematical Sciences