[tex-live] new babel in TL

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue May 7 22:33:51 CEST 2013

On 2013-05-07 at 14:12:54 +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

 > On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Robin Fairbairns wrote:

 > > i've never been quite sure why these "language-name"b versions
 > > exist.  (except in the case of languages like french, where the
 > > are lots of alternative babel packages.)
 >
 > I don't know either, but I suspect the reason was the same as for
 > French. Someone fixed the previous version, uploaded version "b" and
 > after a while the original version was gone. But that's pure
 > speculation.

I don't know whether it explains the "b", but originally the French
language support files were under a nonfree license.  When Thomas
Esser asked the author to change the license, he refused and thus his
stuff had to be removed from teTeX.

In order to support teTeX again he created a second package (maybe
with less features) under a free licence.  That's what I remember.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25