[tex-live] Version number

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 10:39:38 CET 2013

2013/3/13 Robin Fairbairns <Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk>:
> Jose Hissa Ferreira <jose.hissa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>    May I ask the meaning of the version number like 29349? "29" is for
>>    texlive 2012 I guess, but I'm curious about how "349" was generated
>>    (date/time ?).
>
> you don't give context for this number.
>
> i would guess you're talking about a revision number, as in texlive.tlpdb:
>
>   $ more texlive.tlpdb
>   name 00texlive.config
>   category TLCore
>   revision 26946
>   [thousands of lines omitted]
>
> the number has no arcane coding in it, it's merely a count of the times
> the tex live repository has been updated

Yes, there are two numbering schemes:

1. revision number in subversion which is used by TL

2. individual version numbers of the packages assigned by their
authors, they can be found in the TeX Catalogue and on CTAN (and of
course you can look at the installed files)

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/