[tex-live] Version number

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Mar 13 20:04:13 CET 2013

On 2013-03-13 at 10:29:42 -0300, Jose Hissa Ferreira wrote:

 > May I ask the meaning of the version number like 29349? "29" is for
 > texlive 2012 I guess, but I'm curious about how "349" was generated
 > (date/time ?).

It's the revision number in the Subversion repository.  It's
meaningless except that if the revision number of a package in the
repository is bigger than the one of the package on your system, tlmgr
knows that there is an update available.  Please note that the number
is also increased when only the meta-data of a package are changed but
not the content.  Fortunately this happens extremely rarely.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25