[tex-live] TeX Live in User mode

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 04:21:02 CEST 2013

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 4:54 PM, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:

>     >> It would be very user friendly if the mktexlsr creates a database
> also
>     >> in $TEXMFHOME dir (if exists such dir)
>
> To expand on Norbert said: it's intentional that this is not done by
> default, because most people using TEXMFHOME do not have tons of files
> there, and thus there's no need for ls-R, and it's better not to have it
> if it's not needed, since then it can't get out of date.  Sorry for the
> run-on sentence :).
>
> If you create an ls-R in TEXMFHOME (presumably because you have
> thousands of files there), it's up to you to update it.  One can imagine
> other options, but doing anything else has its own downsides.
>
> Best,
> karl

I believe admin user can also use "tlmgr --usermode" with texmf-local to
install packages which are not part of texlive due to some reasons. However
someone needs to package them for TL and I don't see this happening
massively even counting http://tlcontrib.metatex.org. Situation may change
when  "tlmgr --usermode" matures but I would not bet on it.

Victor