[tex-live] Including different software in TeX Live.

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Jul 9 00:11:43 CEST 2013

On 2013-07-09 at 01:09:37 +0500, Ali Sajid Imami wrote:

 > I was wondering if it is possible to fork TeX live or, at the very
 > least, add new software (Like TeXMaker) to TeX live.  I wanted to
 > know if it is a big task or an easy one. I intend to distribute TeX
 > live in my College with my training on using TeX and I have had
 > better feedback from people using TeXMaker than TeXWorks.

Forking TeX Live is definitely a \Biggg task.  You can't imaginine how
much work it is.

You didn't say *how* you want to distribute TeX Live.  I suppose that
you want to provide a DVD.  Then you could take TeX Live as it is and
add a support directory containing additional stuff.

I assume that what you have in mind is to be able to install TeXMaker
like any other TeX Live package using the installer or tlmgr.  It's
impossible for various reasons, but why can't you simply ask your
users to install it from a separate directory?

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25