[tex-live] thx! - AW: folder structure for files included by a cls - package udesoftec

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Jul 8 23:07:51 CEST 2013

On 2013-07-08 at 14:37:25 +0000, Schuler, J. Peter M. wrote:

 > Hi Norbert,
 >
 > > I guess you are talking about
 > >  texmf-dist/doc/latex/udesoftec/udesoftec-cover-uba.pdf
 > >  texmf-dist/doc/latex/udesoftec/udesoftec-cover-ude-de.pdf
 > >  texmf-dist/doc/latex/udesoftec/udesoftec-cover-ude-en.pdf
 > > right?
 > Exactly.
 >
 > > It is not necessary to supply a TDS package.
 > Yeah, but in case of future CTAN updates there should be less
 > effort on your side for each update then.

Peter, IMO the TDS packages are quite useful in some situations.
Recently I installed a package from an older TeX Live DVD and was
grateful that I didn't have to copy each file to the appropriate
directory myself.

However, before you upload a TDS package to CTAN you should carefully
check whether everything is absolutely correct, otherwise it causes
more trouble than it helps.

After all, when the corrected TeX Live package appears on CTAN/tlnet,
you can always compare its directory structure with the TDS package
you intend to upload.  On the other hand, as Norbert already pointed
out, for TeX Live a TDS package isn't necessary and I doubt that
anybody needs it because the number of users of your package is
relatively small.

As an aside, I briefly looked into udesoftec-doc.pdf and what
immediately caught my eyes was the wrong line spacing on the title
page.  It's off topic here and I first considered to write you
privately but since the problem is ubiquitous, I decided to mention
it here.

Suppose you write

  {\huge several lines of text}

then \huge sets both, font size and line spacing.  So far, so good.
Changing the size of a font happens immediately.  But TeX determines
the line spacing when formatting a paragraph.  Though \huge provides
the information, it get's lost after the right curly brace and TeX
uses the line spacing from the surrounding environment.

If you say

  {\huge several lines of text\par}

then TeX is aware of the line spacing set by \huge when formatting the
paragraph.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25