[tex-live] TeXlive is too big: how too switch from the full scheme to a smaller scheme

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Feb 27 23:54:48 CET 2013

Hi

tired of this discussion:

On Di, 26 Feb 2013, Hendrik Maryns wrote:
> culprit is the documentation and second the source.  I removed the
> source folders, which gives me some solace for now, but makes tlmgr
> spit out errors (ah well).

Well, you could have done
	tlmgr option docfiles 0
	tlmgr option srcfiles 0
That would make sure that on following upgrades the source and doc files
are not installed. During the backup process tlmgr will complain
about the missing files, but no need to take care for that
when you have them removed on purpose.

> But what I really would want to do is switch from the full scheme to
> the GUST scheme (for now).  However, if I remove the full scheme in
> tlmgr gui, it starts to remove /everything/.  I only want it to forget

Then use the command line and read the manual:
First install scheme-gust
	tlmgr install scheme-gust
and before continuing make sure you have disabled backups, so that
the disk does not get too full
	tlmgr option autobackup 0
then remove the scheme-full without any dependencies:
	tlmgr remove --no-depends scheme-full
and after that remove the superficial collections (this works on Unix,
on Windows I don't know how to use the awk)
	collections=$(tlmgr info --only-installed collections | awk -F' |:' '{print$2}')
	tlmgr remove $collections
this will remove only those that are NOT included in one of the
other schemes.

That's it. All (besides the awk incantation) written in the manual of
tlmgr. One only has to read it.

Norbert