[tex-live] So far.....expensive failure

Denis Bitouzé dbitouze at wanadoo.fr
Sat Feb 16 13:44:49 CET 2013

Le samedi 16/02/13 à 11h50,
Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> a écrit :

> OK, I suppose that in some ways this just reflect the difference
> between the average LaTeX user and the average Plain TeX user.

IMHO, average LaTeX user and the average Plain TeX user are not at the
same level of computer knowledge and facility: an average LaTeX user
could use its computer only few hours a week, and use LaTeX only few
hours a month.

> The former (and I mean no disrespect by what follows) expect that
> someone (Leslie Lamport, The LaTeX2e/3 team, or one of the countless
> package writers) will have written a package that does what they
> need, and all they want to do is to use that package. Thus if they
> are offered a menu of packages, and for each package a menu of
> commands, then the thought process is much simplified and they
> can focus solely on writing the text.

Any IDE could provide menu of packages, and for each package a menu of
commands, but it provides facilities for most common commands and lets
you add macros and environments menu entries for your personal ones or
the ones of your favourite packages.
--
Denis