[tex-live] So far.....expensive failure

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Fri Feb 15 22:15:49 CET 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 09:42:33PM +0100, Andreas Hirsch wrote:
> quoting Zdenek Wagner, [2013-02-15 19:19]:
>
> > Windows is more difficult, it is necessary to run tlmgr postaction
> > with correct paameters. I unix systems it is just unpacked into some
> > directory and PATH has to be changed.
>
> presuming to have a TL-Installation anywhere (local or server) on a
> volume with drive-letter T:\
>
> All you have to do on a Windows-maschine ist to add T:\texlive\bin\win32
> to the PATH-enviroment-variable

Windows users also expect file associations, menu shortcuts and an
uninstaller. That is what the postinstalls provide.

For our university, the windows installation is on the network, and
an `installer' script provides all the stuff that windows users seem
unable to do without. It uses the same Perl modules and subs as the
tlmgr postaction commands. I published a version of this script at
http://www.tug.org/texlive/w32client.html

--
Siep Kroonenberg