[tex-live] So far.....expensive failure

Denis Bitouzé dbitouze at wanadoo.fr
Fri Feb 15 12:38:37 CET 2013

Le vendredi 15/02/13 à 10h06,
Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> a écrit :

> It should be about 40 minutes on 100 Mbit if you install scheme-full.
> Do you think that it is considerably faster from DVD?

For a single student, no. But if 25 students download /and/ install TL
at the same time, even on a local network, I guess it will take a very
long time.

> Although computers now come with gigabit cards, the network in many
> institutions is not that fast. Our switches have just several gigabit
> ports and my computer is connected to it not because of TeX Live but
> because it is needed for other tasks. My notebook has only 10/100 card
> but network installation is faster that installation from DVD.

Because only one person at a time is processing the network
installation?

> Installation from a DVD is advantageous only if you do it within a
> week after its release because at this time it is not outdated.

Not only: it is also easier when you have a lot of students to manage:
during the LaTeX day I organize each year in June in Dunkerque (North
of France), we often have to manage more than 50 "students" (in fact
teachers who want to learn LaTeX): IMHO, a network installation for
those who own a laptop (about 75%) is impossible and a DVD is easier to
use for those who don't own a laptop and will install TL at home after
the LaTeX day.
--
Denis