[tex-live] fonts in tex-live in pkgsrc

George Georgalis george at galis.org
Tue Feb 5 07:07:13 CET 2013

Hi Norbert and all,

Sorry for the delay I'm deep in discovery and documentation mode and
addressing the latex issue in between. Replies inline.

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:
> On Di, 15 Jan 2013, George Georgalis wrote:
>
>> I have used pkgsrc packaged Latex on NetBSD successfully for *many* years
>
> based on TeX Live?

This is my first round with TeX Live. In the past I found latex packages to
install, not sure exactly their source.

> If you are using the tlnet distribution method, then we cannot help you.
> THis is our distribution channel, and we cannot rename it daily,
> because it is the URL used by many users out there

(seems a "not" missing from that sentence)
This is not the topic of my inquiry, but I would very much like to see a
better bridge from upstream to 3rd party packaging, maybe someday I can
branch this thread here and help.

>> With regard to the issues described here. If you can help by identifying
>> missing components or relevant configuration files; I can probably move
>> through the next steps. My big frustration now is I don't understand the
>
> This is what I always recommend. You should be a *user* of TeX Live
> (install it normally via our distributin channels), get to know the
> internals of TeX system, before trying to package something.

Easier for me since I use Latex, it's not clear to me if the packaging
commiters do, I doubt it.

>> In any event my interest is in using the software again, asap. So now I'm
>> trying the method described at tug.org,
>> http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html
>> and
>> http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/install-tl-unx.tar.gz

>> I have a fast connection but it would seem there are 2137 things to
>> download after disabling most foreign language support (after 40 packages
>> the estimate is 6 more hours of downloads)
>
> Yes. TL is carrying about 2Gb.

I've discovered the delay is mostly speed of different mirrors. Is there a
method to find fastest mirror? Now I just restart until I get a fast one.

> That is the reason one should introduce a decent splitting scheme.
> THere are many approaches to that. I guess AFAIR Fedora has one package
> per TeX Live package, Debian has one Debian package per TeX Live
collection,
> etc etc. It is up to you to decide how you package it into
> different levels.

I understand the problem but it's not one I'm looking to solve now.

> Concerning the font:

I've not seen any functional documentation (the software functional
architecture). I know using fonts comes from coordination of multiple
components with different owners, and there are probably more technical
details than I'm interested in. However, resolution is tricky without a
picture of the grand scheme. Is there an overview that describes the
software component requirements, function, handoff; how it works?

>> This package provides Adobe Helvetica fonts.
>
> THat is *wrong*. Do you see the *font* data in the list below?
>
>> share/
>> share/texmf-dist
>> share/texmf-dist/dvips
>> share/texmf-dist/dvips/helvetic
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/afm
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/afm/adobe
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/afm/adobe/helvetic
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/afm/urw
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/afm/urw/helvetic
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/map
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/helvetic
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/adobe
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/adobe/helvetic
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/cspsfonts-adobe
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/cspsfonts-adobe/helvetic
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/monotype
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/monotype/helvetic
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/urw35vf
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/urw35vf/helvetic
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/urw
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/urw/helvetic
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/vf
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/vf/adobe
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/vf/adobe/helvetic
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/vf/cspsfonts-adobe
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/vf/cspsfonts-adobe/helvetic
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/vf/monotype
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/vf/monotype/helvetic
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/vf/urw35vf
>> share/texmf-dist/fonts/vf/urw35vf/helvetic
>> share/texmf-dist/tex
>> share/texmf-dist/tex/latex
>> share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/helvetic
>>
>> Can you clarify? Is this incorrect packaging and/or licensing info?

sorry for being unclear, that was "find ./ -type d" output. The directories
where full of font data. However, I've removed those packages and trying to
use tlnet now.

> My recommendation:
> * use TeX Live from tug for some time, get to know how it works
> * look at other distributions how they have packaged
> * make up your mind *what* you want to package (daily updates, iso)
> * make up your mind into which units you want to package

Thanks, will consider that for next round. For now I have a few comments
from the tlnet install...

Installing [2143/2144, time/total: 15:28/15:28]: zwgetfdate [242k]
Installing [2144/2144, time/total: 15:28/15:28]: zwpagelayout [587k]
Time used for installing the packages: 15:29
running mktexlsr /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist
/usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf...
mktexlsr: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Done.
writing fmtutil.cnf to /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-var/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
writing updmap.cfg to /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/web2c/updmap.cfg
writing language.dat to
/usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-var/tex/generic/config/language.dat
writing language.def to
/usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-var/tex/generic/config/language.def
writing language.dat.lua to
/usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-var/tex/generic/config/language.dat.lua
running mktexlsr /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-var
/usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-config /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist ...
mktexlsr: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-config/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-var/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Done.
running updmap-sys...done
setting default paper size to letter
re-running mktexlsr /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-var
/usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-config...
mktexlsr: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-config/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-var/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Done.
setting up ConTeXt MkIV cache with mtxrun --generate ...Can't exec
"mtxrun": No such file or directory at ./install-tl line 929.
done
pre-generating all format files (fmtutil-sys --all), be patient...done
running package-specific postactions
Can't open perl script "/usr/tlpkg/tlpostcode/dvipdfmx.pl": No such file or
directory
./install-tl: calling post action script tlpkg/tlpostcode/dvipdfmx.pl did
not succeed in /usr/home/gegeorga/src/install-tl-20130204, status 2 at
tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm line 1708.
Can't open perl script "/usr/tlpkg/tlpostcode/xetex.pl": No such file or
directory
./install-tl: calling post action script tlpkg/tlpostcode/xetex.pl did not
succeed in /usr/home/gegeorga/src/install-tl-20130204, status 2 at
tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm line 1708.
finished with package-specific postactions

The remainder of messages explain " TLPDB::setting: no
available_architectures, returning empty list ...", success and to add
 /usr/local/texlive/2012/bin/i386-netbsd to PATH.

Per errors above, I do see the following files:
/usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/scripts/context/stubs/unix/mtxrun
/usr/local/texlive/2012/tlpkg/tlpostcode/dvipdfmx.pl
/usr/local/texlive/2012/tlpkg/tlpostcode/xetex.pl

perhaps this is a bug related to TLPDB::setting? I do not know what the
scripts do but suspect the installer should not have reported success.

> Actually, if you are interested, I will give a talk at FOSDEM 2013 in
> Brussels on this topic, packaging TeX Live....

already over? any revelations?

Regards,
-George

--