[tex-live] double installation | dblatex | docbook.sty not found

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Dec 23 10:54:27 CET 2013

Urs Liska <ul at openlilylib.org> wrote:

> I'm having an issue which is probably related to path searching.
>
> I have TL 2013 installed from the web installer. It resides in a local
> dir (i.e. in my user dir).
> For some dependencies (apt-get build-dep lilypond) I additionally had
> to install it through apt-get from the Debian repositories. But my
> paths are set so the web installation is used.
> Additionally I've installed dblatex through apt-get.
>
> Now when running a build script this fails at the command "dblatex
> somefile.tex" with the message "docbook.sty" not found.
>
> tlmgr update dblatex tells me it is up to date.
> dblatex is found in /usr/bin.
>
> Somehow I have the impression my manually installed TeXLive and the
> apt-get dblatex don't cooperate well.

i would be extremely surprised if they did.  the dblatex you got via
apt-get will typically be looking in the tex tree that was active when
it was installed; so unless you installed it with the tl texmf tree
"current", you don't stand a chance.

> Any ideas what I could check?

can you find docbook.sty from _anywhere_ on your system?  (i can't,
neither in the "virgin" ubuntu-installed system, or in my tex live
installation, or on ctan.)

my general rule is not to run the default ubuntu latex, at all, unless
i'm in user-support mode.