[tex-live] PDF/A-1b compliancy with (pdf,lua)TeX

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 15:39:44 CET 2013

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com>wrote:

> I agree that hyperref is useful, I use it quite often but not always.
> PDF/X files serve for printing, you cannot click on a piece of paper,
> thus it is useless if I know that the document will be printed and
> never published as PDF. The manual for the Velthuis Devanagari package
> used hyperref many years ago but then with one version it was not
> possible to compile the document with hyperref. I had an opder version
> with which it work, a newer version with which a fatal error was
> reported. There were too many changes in several files so that I was
> not able to figure out the source of the problem. I have not tried
> whether it works with the current version. This is why I want to have
> a minimalist solution. There may be cases where hyperref must not be
> used for various reasons. Of course, PDF/A is intended for archivation
> and hyperref will almost always used for such documents bu I deal very
> often with documents that will be just printed and not available in
> other means.

Yes, one cannot click on the piece of the paper. However most of
mathematical journals have now online editions but they do not want there
functionality which is not available for printed one.

Further, even if the article or a book are not going to be printed it is
sent to referees or reviewers as a pdf file and IMHO a simple courtesy
requires to make their volunteer work as easy as possible.

Victor

--

Victor Ivrii