[tex-live] dvipdfmx warnings

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Wed Dec 4 19:03:28 CET 2013

Le 2 déc. 2013 à 14:35, jfbu <jfbu at free.fr> a écrit :

> One font which I cannot use with dvipdfmx is T1/txtt, when the document
> uses letters like é or à outside the 32-127 range.

Bob:

I have looked again at the matter; turns out that my experience
dates back to TL2010. An input file such as

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage{txfonts}
\begin{document}
\ttfamily
éèàùëîê
\end{document}

when processed by the latex+dvipdfmx of TL2010 gave a pdf file
which Acrobat Reader could not open. I had the same problem with
the Droid and Comfortaa fonts.

I must say I used TL2010 until about a year ago, because my
Mac OS 10.3.9 was not compatible with more recent MacTeX
distributions.

With TL2013, the above file does give the same warnings when
the dvi is compiled with dvipdfmx:

** WARNING ** Obsolete four arguments of "endchar" will be used for Type 1 "seac" operator.

However, the pdf file *does show correctly* in Acrobat Reader, both
with Acrobat 7 of my earlier computer and the 10.1.4 on my newer one.

Thus good people have brought some changes to dvipdfmx since then
and the dvipdfmx road which I would not follow earlier for TXTT,
Droid, Comfortaa is working now. (I did not yet test the last two but
I expect them to be ok too, now).

Thanks then for making me realize that I was living on some obsolete
past experience.

As a side note,
the fonts back then for which I observed the most tremendous size reductions
when using dvipdfmx  compared to pdflatex were Libertine/Biolinum

I tried again to see the current status and I just tried this (on TL2013)

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage{libertine}