[tex-live] enquiry regarding Ukrainian "i"

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 11:47:02 CET 2013

2013/12/3 David Carlisle <d.p.carlisle at gmail.com>:

> On 3 December 2013 09:46, Semen Trygubenko / Семен Тригубенко
> <semen at trygub.com> wrote:
>>

>> So, presumably, once the substitution has occurred (Ukrainian "і" and
>> Latin "i" with the
>> t2a's glyph for i) there's not much we can do? Is there space in Cyrillic
>> half of the glyph table
>> to include a clone of t2a's glyph for i so that Ukrainian "і" and Latin
>> "i"
>> could be distinguished further down the line?
>

> No that's the trouble: T2A is full, however there may of course be a
> character that you don't need in Ukranian that you could take out and
> replace by the i, or if you always use T1 for latin letters you could I
> assume place the ukranian i in the ascii i slot and arrange the appropriate
> unicode mapping. (But using xetex might be easier:-)

Are you sure? The problem is not in the glyph shape but in its
toUnicode mapping. I managed to insert more characters into the
toUnicode map than t2a.cmap contains, see my sample at
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz/dvngpdf/
I think that it would be sufficient to remove "i" from the range and
insert this mapping:

<69> <0456>

--
Zdeněk Wagner