[tex-live] texindy problems on Win7 (UNC paths?)

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Wed Apr 17 10:39:28 CEST 2013

It might be a bit too late to report this problem, but then at least it is added to the archives.

In the fall many of our researchers got new Win7 computers which are domain controlled. Among other things this means that their Documents folder is transparently mapped onto a network folder (UNC folder) on a file server.

For now we have observed two problems, one of which seems to be TL related.

texindy does not work in a subfolder of the Documents folder. If we move the files to a folder outside the Documents folder, i.e., somewhere that is not mapped onto a UNC path, texindy works as expected. Since the domain controlled file mapping is rather common in large organizations this problem ought to be addressed somehow.

I'm attaching a screen dump of the error we get when we try to use texindy. I cannot figure out if the problem is UNC paths or something else, but I suspect the folder mapping.

----

The other problem we are having does not seem to be a TL problem, but rather that when adding a user command to TeXStudio (in this case makeglossaries), then the command is called as

folder CMD command ....

But the folder TeXStudio gives it is a UNC path and not the local path, and CMD does not support UNC paths....

I'll send this to the TeXStudio developers, just wanted to share it in case others had problems.

/Lars Madsen
Institut for Matematik / Department of Mathematics
Aarhus Universitet / Aarhus University
Mere info: http://au.dk/daleif@imf / More information: http://au.dk/en/daleif@imf