[tex-live] User names too longs or with diacritics on Windows

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Apr 14 15:59:07 CEST 2013

I wonder whether it might be worth bringing Jonathan Kew,
and/or the current maintainer(s) of XeTeX, into this
discussion; they must surely have a reasonable knowledge
of what additional steps are needed to ensure that
Windows utilities are Unicode-aware.

Actually, having written that, I then thought to compare
the behaviour of TeX and XeTeX with the same file as
discussed earlier in the thread; the output for XeTeX
is disappointing, to say the least :

D:\Users>tex Cécile/Cécile.txt
This is TeX, Version 3.1415926 (Web2C 2011)
(./C^^e9cile/C^^e9cile.txt)
*\end
[1]
(see the transcript file for additional information)
Output written on C^^e9cile.dvi (1 page, 220 bytes).
Transcript written on C^^e9cile.log.

D:\Users>xetex Cécile/Cécile.txt
This is XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.3-0.9997.5 (Web2C 2011)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
! I can't find file `CÞó®le/CÞó®le.txt'.
<*> CÞó®le/CÞó®le.txt

(Press Enter to retry, or Control-Z to exit)
Please type another input file name: ^Z

! Emergency stop.
<*> CÞó®le/CÞó®le.txt

No pages of output.