[tex-live] README with executable bit on

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Sat Apr 6 09:40:59 CEST 2013

Le 6 avr. 2013 à 00:02, "Adam R. Maxwell" <amaxwell at mac.com> a écrit :

> On Apr 5, 2013, at 14:35 , Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:
>
>> What makes you think that your system is trying to execute a script?
>
> Mac OS X's Launch Services (called when you double-click a file)
> will try to exec an executable file in a Terminal process, so that's
> exactly what's happening. This is more a limitation of file type
> detection than anything.
>
> adam

If I had been more alert, I would have seen the Mac OS icon identifying
an executable file (it was displayed somewhere below the first occurrence
of README in the Tex Live Utility package info window). As my vision was
a bit blurry at that time I did not take notice and I double-clicked
the word README. And as Adam
explains, this triggered the execution of the file in a Terminal.

It *could* have been with disastrous consequences, but fortunately
it was just an innocent README, so the Terminal windows just displayed
a succession or errors.

However next time I will be a bit more wary of double-clicking rather
than "Open with..."

Jean-Francois