[tex-live] uninitialized variable $firstline in TLUtils.pm

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Sep 19 03:13:07 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Di, 18 Sep 2012, Ulf-Dietrich Braumann wrote:
> once I updated my Cygwin based TL2012 installation today, I noticed some
> complaint when the TLUtils.pm Perl script is executed: "use of
> unitialized value $firstline":

Hmm, interesting, I could now try it and I have no idea why it happens.
here on unix if there is an empty file it works.

Seems to be cygwin specific, can you tell me what
	cat /usr/local/telxive/2012/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg | od
says?

THe warning comes from here:

>   return unless -r $oldupd;  # if no such file, good.

Ok, there is a file, I hope you can confrim that.

>   open (OLDUPD, "<$oldupd") || die "open($oldupd) failed: $!";

But if that succeeded, we should be able to read from the file.

>   chomp( my $firstline = <OLDUPD> );

reading from the file returned nothing, while on Unix it returns
the empty string.

Best wishes

Norbert