[tex-live] Per user texmf.cnf

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Sep 2 19:32:16 CEST 2012

Hi Joseph,

    Ah, I see what I was getting wrong: there is a variable "TEXMFCONFIG"
    and and a variable "TEXMFCNF", and they are not synonyms.

Right.

    am I correct in understanding that there is no per user location for
    which a texmf.cnf file is read as standard (i.e. that TEXMFCNF does
    not include any directory relative to "~").

Yes.  (See the definition of TEXMFCNF in texmf.cnf.)

    If so, am I correct in understanding that the only way to move
    TEXMFHOME on a per user basis is to set at least one environmental
    variable (either TEXMFCNF then using a local texmf.cnf to move
    TEXMFHOME, or setting TEXMFHOME directly)?

Yes, and I would strongly recommend the latter.  Stay away from creating
your own texmf.cnf unless it's absolutely necessary.  Usually it isn't.

Best,