[tex-live] TeX/LaTeX/Aleph in Ubuntu 12.10

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 22:49:17 CEST 2012

2012/10/19 P. P. Narayanaswami <swami at mun.ca>:
> Just now, I upgraded to Ubuntu 12.10 and when I run LaTeX or Aleph on files.
> I get the following error message:
>
> This is Aleph, Version 3.1415926-1.15-2.1-0.0-rc4 (TeX Live 2012/Debian)
>  restricted \write18 enabled.
> ---! /var/lib/texmf/web2c/aleph/lamed.fmt doesn't match aleph.pool
> (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
>
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.4-1.40.13 (TeX Live 2012/Debian)
>  restricted \write18 enabled.
> ---! /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdftex/latex.fmt doesn't match pdftex.pool
> (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
> and so on .....
>
> What is the problem and how to resolve it? Everythibng was woprking perfectly
> well in Ubuntu 12.04

It seems that the binaries were replaced with the new versions but the
formats were not regenerated. You can discover it by inspectiong the
modification date of the *.fmt files. I do not know the infrastructure
of the Ubuntu TeX distribution but there should be some documentation
how to regenerate the formats if this is the reason.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/