[tex-live] texdoc for libertine

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Nov 25 00:49:32 CET 2012

Hey, everyone, we're all on the same side here, let's ease up a bit
please.

1. It would be better to discuss texdoc things on texdoc at tug.org.

2. The "texdoc maintainer" (Manuel) doesn't sit around deciding what
gets displayed!  It implements an algorithm.  Manuel has done much to
improve the algorithm when bug reports are sent.

2a. Preferring foo.pdf to foo/README does not seem implausible to me on
the face of it.  I can see the argument that "when foo.pdf is not in the
package foo it should have lower priority" ... but I'm not sure.  I am
skeptical of a rule saying that for "texdoc foo", when foo is a package
name, should only consider files that are literally in package foo.
Packages just aren't that cleanly demarcated.

Anyway, running texdoc --debug might yield more information (I didn't
try it).

2b. Manuel, like everyone, is busy.  Obviously he's not answering this
mail in real time right now.  If someone else wants to volunteer to
maintain or co-maintain texdoc, I'm sure that would be welcome.

3. The whole problem is going to go away when we remove libertine.  So
do we really need a lengthy exegesis about it?  I really doubt there are
(m)any users running "texdoc libertine" and who aren't aware of
libertine's um, dynamic, status.

4. However, in a nutshell, for anyone here who is wondering: the goal
here is to have one libertine package, thus no more separate
libertineotf package, and Bob has done essentially all the work toward
that.  There's a libertineotf.sty in libertine's doc directory.

Bottom line: anyone using libertineotf.sty now, please try the new one
in the libertine package.

5. Bug reports about things that are wrong are always welcome, even
thought we obviously can't promise instant action.

karl