[tex-live] texdoc for libertine

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sat Nov 24 12:56:12 CET 2012

On Fr, 23 Nov 2012, Bob Tennent wrote:
> No; the problem is that a user might not realize that they are seeing
> the documentation for another package, in fact the package we're trying
> to make obsolete! Let me ask: why is it apparently so difficult to fix
> this?

Maybe that in recent month libertine was changing names and packages and
formats and whatever on a sometimes daily rythm. Nobody wants to fix these
things every day anew.

In this case it is quite simple:
- libertineotf ships a file "libertine.pdf"
- libertine ships a file README
I guess the inner workings of texdoc prefer the pdf documentation,
especially as it has the *very*same*name*.

So please, don't complain about these things, it is a problem of the
libertine maintainers that there are no proper namings of files in
the packages.

> In fact, there's a structural problem here: it's the package maintainer
> who should be deciding which is the primary documentation, not the
> texdoc maintainer. What's needed for this to happen?

THere is already a way to do that: When uploading to CTAN one can specify
the name of the documentation and more data.

Best wishes

Norbert
LUDLOW (n.)
A wad of newspaper, folded tablenapkin or lump of cardboard put under
a wobbly table or chair to make it stand-up straight. It is perhaps
not widely known that air-ace Sir Douglas Bader used to get about on
an enormous pair of ludlows before he had his artificial legs fitted.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff