[tex-live] TeX Live 2012 fonts instalation

tkadlec at math.feld.cvut.cz tkadlec at math.feld.cvut.cz
Sun Nov 4 09:27:41 CET 2012

Hi,

there seems to be a problem with texhash during instalation of new fonts
to TeX Live 2012 (Windows). It happened several times that the file
2012/texmf-dist/web2c/updmap.cfg was deleted (with terrible consequences).
The last time it was in the following situation:

I had the following files:
  2012/texmf-dist/web2c/updmap.cfg
  2012/texmf-dist/web2c/tex-dist-updmap.cfg
  2012/tex-dist/fonts/map/dvips/cmgr/cmvgr.map
(tex-dist-updmap.cfg was a copy of updmap.cfg sent me by another user
after the previous lost, cmvgr was my font I tried to install). Everything
looks fine. I moved cmvgr to a more suitable directory
  texmf-local/fonts/map/dvips/local
deleted
  2012/tex-dist/fonts/map/dvips/cmgr
run "texhash" and "pdftex testfont" to check cmvgr font.

This propably will not happen if I used the proper directory for the .map
file at the start, but first I tried texmf-local/dvips/local what was not
functional, then the "nonlocal directory" and only then I realized what
the proper local directory might be. It might help also other users to
mention this directory at http://www.tug.org/fonts/fontinstall.html

Josef Tkadlec