[tex-live] homebrew mactex?

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Fri Nov 2 16:56:40 CET 2012

On Nov 2, 2012, at 06:41 , Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> On Fr, 02 Nov 2012, Frazier, Tyler James wrote:
>> Oops sorry, yes I meant MacTex using the Tex Live Utility
>
> If you want TLU then you need MacTeX

Nope!  TLU will work with any TL regardless of the install method, as
long as you set its preferences to point to the correct path.

In fact, you can even use TLU to install TeX Live (see its Help book
for details).  I don't recommend doing that unless you have a good
reason (e.g., don't have root permission).

> BInaries are kept within the same hierarchy, and only the /usr/texbin
> klink is changed, that is all to switch between released, so no
> need to be scared.

Indeed, MacTeX is the easiest way to go, and switching between releases
with the preference pane is very convenient.  It does install more stuff
than TeX Live itself; you end up with /Library/TeX, /usr/texbin, and the
prefpane in /Library/PreferencePanes.

regards,
Adam (TLU developer)