[tex-live] Two versions of Latin Modern Math?

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Nov 1 10:04:18 CET 2012

On 1-11-2012 09:13, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 09:32:20PM +0100, Staszek Wawrykiewicz wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Oct 2012, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>>
>>> I noticed that a new version of Latin Modern Math was made avialable,
>>> but it was installed as:
>>> fonts/opentype/public/lm-math/lmodern-math.otf
>>>
>>> While there is already an older version installed as:
>>> fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmmath-regular.otf
>>
>> You are right. .../lm/lmmath-regular.otf was added to the lm package
>> in 2011 after some requests, but only in the TL repository. The
>> canonical distribution on CTAN doesn't contain such font, so it
>> should be removed
>> from TL.
>
> But packages depend on the actual file name, so now after
> lmmath-regular.otf was removed unicode-math is broken (if the user
> didn’t specify a math font), and I believe ConTeXt depends on that file
> name two. I thought the purpose for lmmath-regular.otf name is two allow
> for a future lmmath-bold.otf font, no?

Indeed, that was the reason: the lmmath collection with several fonts
(among other things bold math is a next gyre project). Jacko and I
mailed about it around tl building and as a first step it would be done
in tl (as the ctan package was already frozen). Successive updates would
use the new name.

Hans