[tex-live] Report of pretest intallation in Windows XP and 7.

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Thu May 24 21:48:17 CEST 2012

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 01:02:36PM -0500, Dan Luecking wrote:

> I have only two concerns.
>
> 1. Th mentioned glitch was a message from tar, complaining of
> "unexpected end of (something)" followed by a pop up window
> saying perl "has stopped working" and the installation aborted.
> I think this was a corrupted download of xifthen. It seems
> strange that an error in tar could lead to perl hanging, but
> that could be windows-specific.

Interesting. We have gotten more reports of `Perl has stopped
working', without so far having got the faintest clue what that was
about. At least, now we have your report of an error which may have
triggered this.

> 2. I was using install-tl-advanced.bat. The gui asks one question
> on winXP that it doesn't ask on win7:
>    Install for all users?
> This is a concern because I still had TL2011 in my system path
> on both machines. The system path is pre-pended to a user-specific
> path. If I don't install 2012 for all users, the 2012 binaries
> come after the 2011 binaries. On winXP I answered the question
> "No" and the above problem occured, requiring me to correct
> the paths by hand.

Even if the right TL is not first on the searchpath, all TL menu
items find the corresponding TL first. We added a command prompt
menu item with the corresponding TL at the front of the searchpath
especially to deal with this Windows misfeature.

> I decided to answer the question differntly on win7, but the
> question was not asked! The 2012 binaries were added to my
> user path and I again had to correct the paths by hand.

On vista/w7, you have to explicitly ask for admin privileges even if
you are an admin user. The question was not asked because the
installer did not have the required privileges.

We could warn about limited privileges, but in most cases it would
just make things more complicated for the user for no good reason.

--
Siep Kroonenberg