[tex-live] Testing Tex Live (2012) before release...looked good to me.

Glenn Todd Miller gmiller at ipa.cfa.harvard.edu
Fri May 18 20:21:38 CEST 2012

Hello,

In my TUG newsletter you invited me to test out TexLive 2012, so I did and the installation
and my test went smoothly.  I compiled a set of notes (over 3000 pages) using the 2012
version and all is well.  Thanks for the great work, I look forward to getting the real 2012
DVD.  I will continue using the pre-release and report any issues I find going forward.

FYI this is the procedure I used to do the installation:
(1) First step was to go this website and pick a mirror site:
    http://tug.org/texlive/mirmon/
    I clicked on the link for 'www.math.utah.edu' which supports http.
    Clicking on this link took me to the website:
       http://ftp.math.utah.edu/pub//texlive/tlpretest/
    where I clicked on 'install-tl-unx.tar.gz' and with right mouse selected
    'Save Link As...', so that I could download this file into ~/Downloads.
(2) Next was to unpack the downloaded installer app:
    cd /tmp
    gunzip install-tl-unx.tar.gz
    tar xvf install-tl-unx.tar
    cd install-tl-20120517
(3) Run the app which will connect back to utah.edu and pull down the TeXLive
    distro and install it into my /usr/local/texlive/2012 directory while
    leaving older versions (/usr/local/texlive/2011) alone.
   ./install-tl -repository http://ftp.math.utah.edu/pub//texlive/tlpretest \
          -gui text
(4) Last step was to add the new path to my .bashrc file and test the distro.

Thanks and have a great weekend.